Thursday, May 05, 2005

Steak and Leftovers

Now that you've had a few days to digest my extended description of sushi with my mother, I'll briefly wrap up the entrees:

Mom had Delmonico steak with a Madeira wine sauce. It was a very rich and flavorful cut of meat about the size of a human head. She got asparagus in hollandaise to go with. These were pencil thin and a bit on the fiberous side (a hazard of that size category). However the hollandaise was creamy and the dish came garnished with crispy leek shavings. Very nice.

I got "Steak a la Stone" which I had hoped was going to be one of those steak dishes they actually cook on a hot stone at your table. It turns out that "Steak a la Stone" is poseur speak for pepper steak - a favorite of housewives in the 70s, Rachel Ray, and prison inmates. Yes, it was a high end pepper steak, but a pepper steak nevertheless. I must learn to ask questions of my waitstaff before I order, like "Gosh, what's this entree?". I ate the steak and the veggies came home with me to add to sausage sandwiches.

The wine we had with dinner was excellent:



You can buy it here , and I strongly suggest that you do. Get a case and then try to convince your friends that they are in fact drinking something far more expensive than it actually is. It won't be hard. Toast up some baguette slices. Saute some mushrooms with a little shallot and garlic. Slather some soft goat cheese on the baguette slices and top with a dollop of the mushrooms and a grind of black pepper. Serve with a glass of this wine. Your friends will think you are a genius.

I'm a huge fan of the Central Coast vineyards. They are less well known than Napa or Sonoma, but turn out some tremendous wines - a lot of which never even make it over here to the East Coast. Because they are less well known, you can get exceptional wines for comparatively reasonable prices.

And so dinner came to an end. We did not partake of dessert or port. Instead, mom opened a fine bottle of Veuve Clicquot when we got home. It went very nicely with the evening's television entertainment: The Ron White comedy special.

Damn but we're classy.

1 comment:

Lance Manion said...

Veuve Clicquot goes with everything. It's awesome that way.

You know what would be really funny? Like, RuPaul Christmas Special funny? The Ron Jeremy Comedy Special. That would be REALLY funny. I'm just saying.