Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Intelligent Design



When I was in high school biology, the teacher was obligated to briefly cover creationism, in addition to evolution, when we got to the "Origins of Life" unit. However, she did it with a wink and a smile. We all knew it was perfunctory and laughable. We did it so the leaders of the religious right would remain focused on other compelling pursuits, like banging Jessica Hahn, and leave us alone. We put up with their silliness. This is why I find this article so disturbing:

Bush endorses "intelligent design"

Look, I understand that George W. Bush was a hardcore C student and former cheerleader who has Daddy issues. In a perfect world, he should have become a stripper. Instead, he's President of the United States. And this leads to:

"Bush compared the current debate to earlier disputes over ''creationism,' a related view that adheres more closely to biblical explanations. As governor of Texas, Bush said students should be exposed to both creationism and evolution.

The president said yesterday that he favors the same approach for intelligent design 'so people can understand what the debate is about.'"


What? What is there to debate? The Bible is not a textbook in a public school.

Am I the only one who thinks that just because you take creationism, wrap it up in a bow by new lobbyists and give it a new name that it's still crappy, fake "science" that treads dangerously on our seperation of church and state when crammed down the necks of public school students? (And, can I write a longer sentence? Probably.)

Look, Madonna can rename herself "Ester" for the sake of her "religion". She's still Madonna. She's still responsible for the abomination that was "Shanghai Surprise". "Intelligent Design" is still creationism renamed by the religious right for the sake of their religion. They're still responsible for the abomination that was "Bible Man".Bible Man!  Willie Ames's greatest 90 seconds since his honeymoon.

Some things should not be inflicted on the general public. That's all I'm saying.


7 comments:

Lance Manion said...

I didn't know that Bibleman had a lightsaber. That's pretty cool.

And I find the whole ID thing aboslutely sickening.

Blog ho said...

i just fell in love with you.

Mr. Scoop said...

"i just fell in love with you."

Um, she's mine.

And even if she wasn't, I can tell you with some authority that unless you can hold down most of a quart of what I like to call Vitamin JD while simultaneously improvising doggerel poetry about a sentient, world-conquering strain of herpes to the rhythm of "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," you don't have a chance, chief.

Let's just say that our courtship was a felony in 39 states and all of Canada.

Blog ho said...

it's...go time?

Amandarama said...

Lance - Apparently Bibleman does have a light saber. And Willie Ames also seems to have more tattoos than the average member of Warrant.

Blog Ho - That's very sweet. No, I don't think it's go time...

Mr. Scoop - You're very cute when you're jealous :)

Dave Morris said...

Don't get me started about the christian right. I just answered my door early on a Saturday morning to see two Jehovah's witnesses.

Screw people who want to "witness" to me. What did they witness that I haven't seen? Nothing factual, for sure. As a former avid witnessin', bible thumpin', hook-line-and-sinker, religious SUCKER, I am now offended by most religions, and embarrassed at my past willingness to be a sheep.

And Mr. Scoop, Ho is not the only one who is in love with your girl.

We radio guys are such the jealous types, aren't we?

Dave Morris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.