Sunday, October 23, 2005

Schrodinger's Cat

Have you ever heard about Schrodinger's Cat?

It's a quantum mechanics theory. Basically a cat is stuffed in a bag with a lethal device that, when a button is pressed outside the bag, has a 50/50 chance of killing the cat (and everything is safe-guarded and cat-proofed, blah, blah, blah). You press the button to activate the device. And here's the thing:

Before you open the bag, the state of the cat is neither alive nor dead (or 100% alive and also 100% dead, which is a fun little paradox to try and get your head around). The cat will remain in this limbo state until you open the bag and determine the cat's reality.

That's kind of how I feel about stand up comedy right now.

I really enjoy the time that I'm on stage. But, since I don't perform all that often lately, I'm never entirely sure how the evening is going to go. The set could be great or it could suck. So, I usually end up perserverating for the whole day leading up to the set, dwelling on how it could all go horribly wrong. Because there is a 100% chance that the set could go well and a 100% chance that it could really suck. And I won't get a chance to determine my reality until I get onstage.

Tonight's show went pretty well, but I lost most of the day worrying over the set. Watching old DVDs of sets. Making notes about what I want to do differently.
Mr. Scoop says I'll perseverate less if I book more shows and work more frequently.
He's right, of course.

In the meantime, here's a site that puts the fate of Schrodinger's Cat in your hands:

The Interactive Schrodinger's Cat

5 comments:

Latigo Flint said...

Goddamn Light, all being both a particle and a wave and shit. Who does Light think it is? Light pisses me off.

Lance Manion said...

At least the Schrodinger Cat has the good sense not to pee all over your house.

Rob Seifert said...

Of course there is the glass is half empty argument to be considered - i.e. 0%/0% Chuckle... Grats on making it through your set!

RCS

Dave Morris said...

Hey, why is it 90 percent of female comedians are lesbian?

I have XM, and when listening to the comedy channel I noticed that almost ALL female comedians are talking about the Munching of the Carpet.

I just thought you could add some insight.

Amandarama said...

Latigo - Light pisses me off too. Let's go kick it's ass! I'll bring the beer.

Lance - If Schrodinger's Cat were to pee all over the house, before you opened the door to the bedroom the house would be in a state of both 100% having not been peed on as well as 100% having totally been peed on. That's the fun that Schrodinger's Cat brings to the party.

RCS - Thank you! I was pretty psyched about it. Now I will be a comedy hermit until late November.

Dave - It's not that 90% of female comedians are lesbian; rather it's that a good majority rely on the titilation of sexual situations to keep the interest of the audience. It's not like chicks can really get away with dick jokes. Unless they want to talk about their boyfriends' dicks. And that just makes everybody uncomfortable.

So that's why it seems like every female comedian you hear on XM is a lesbian. That, and daddy issues.