Tuesday, January 03, 2006

First Recipe for the New Year...


...because I love you and this goes well with beer. Happy New Year!

This recipe is inspired by one of Ming Tsai's. His involves tracking down banana leaves and some other hard to find (at least in my grocery store) ingredients. However, you will find the results of my version quite tasty, as well as find that it gives you a bit of summer heat during this winter blast. Here in New England today we are prey to a mercurial winter storm that can't quite decide if it's snow or rain. It also won't give us enough snow to actually cancel school, just gak up the highways.

Bastard Father Winter.



Thai Shrimp en Papillote

Serves 2

1 T. red curry paste
juice from ½ a lime
1/3 c. cilantro leaves
1 scallion, cut into large pieces
1 jalapeno pepper, including seeds (remove stem)
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 t. sesame oil
1 T. canola oil
1-2 t. fish sauce
8 oz. large (21-25 count) shrimp*
1 ½ c. cooked jasmine rice
12 slices grilled summer squash**
12 slices grilled zucchini**
½ c. grilled sliced onion**
1 grilled tomato, cut into 6 wedges**


Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

1. Pulse the first 9 ingredients together in a food processor or blender. Scrape into a non-reactive bowl and set aside.
2. On a 12 inch sheet of foil that you’ve sprayed with Pam (or similar), place 2 rows of 3 slices of squash (side-by-side). Cover evenly with half the rice. Add 6 slices of zucchini, followed by ¼ c. of onions and 3 tomato wedges. Place half of the shrimp on top. Spoon ¼ to ½ the curry paste mixture on top (to taste).
3. Carefully fold the foil over the ingredients and seal tightly on all sides. Place foil packets on a baking sheet in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
4. When cooking is complete, remove the contents of each packet to a plate or bowl and serve immediately. You may want to garnish with more scallion or cilantro.

*If you don't like shrimp, 6-8 oz. of lightly pounded chicken breast that has been cubed up will work too. Up the cooking time to about 25 minutes, to ensure doness.

**Use a grill pan or run these veggies under the broiler until lightly charred before making the recipe. Or order grilled veggies from the local barbecue place as part of your take-away and use those instead. That's what I did the first time I made this.

To drink with this meal I recommend Singha. This lager cuts through the spiciness nicely. And clocks in at 6.0% ABV!

Happy New Year, folks!

Drink up!

3 comments:

Ari said...

Looks wonderful, but I fear being confounded by the ingredient list. Maybe I'll just have the beer.

Lance Manion said...

I stayed home that day anyway. My computer had a hideous death virus and I needed to fix it.

BTW, there are some guys in Russia that I will beat to death with my bare hands, should I ever meet them.

Dave Morris said...

Oooh, this recipe looks so good... I love me some shrimp. I love me some beer.

I love me some foil. Chewing the foil is a great way to pass the time while the food is cooking.