Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Of Chicken Soup and Other Cold Remedies...Not Meth...


...really. I promise the reason Mr. Scoop was in that CVS purchasing Listerine, Sudafed and Drano all at the same time was because I sent him to acquire supplies while I lay huddled, shivering and coughing on the couch. Not because he intended to create "the most bitchin' peppermint flavored meth ever".

I've been ill since last Thursday. If you so much as whisper "sinus infection" near me during the winter, my head will swell to twice its natural size and become laden with nasty yellowish goo. And that's the upside of the infection. Before I spend so much time blowing my nose that the inside of it bleeds if I bend over to tie my shoe. By the way, if you are in a meeting with parents, it's a bad idea to attribute a spontaneous nose bleed to an old coke habit. Clasp your hand to your head and writhe around on the floor shrieking that it's an aneurysm instead. It will be less awkward for everyone.

That's me, sharing the tips for workplace success with you. You're welcome.


I've been trying to combat my cold with chicken noodle soup.

My recipe is based on my grandmother's on my dad's side. Grandma was an adequate cook, but when you're looking for childhood comfort food you certainly don't want haute cuisine. The flavor is on the sweet side from lots of carrots, but also perfumed with bay leaves and thyme. It also has macaroni. Grandma always used macaroni, so that's what goes in mine. When I eat it, I'm six years old and taking the day off from school in my pajamas on Grandma's bright aqua couch that didn't match any of the other furniture in the living room but was incredibly comfortable for using to sleep off a fever and sniffles.

Scoop's Chicken Noodle Soup

1 1/2 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs trimmed of as much fat as possible
8 oz. carrots
4 oz. celery
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
32 oz. fat free, low sodium chicken broth
4 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
2 c. macaroni
salt and pepper to taste

Place the carrots, celery and onion in a food processor and blitz until chopped medium-ish. In a pot large enough to hold at least 5 quarts, place the chicken thighs on the bottom of the pot. Cover with the chopped vegetables. Pour the chicken broth over and add the thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Then remove the bay leaves and thyme and the chicken thighs. Shred or chop the chicken meat. Bring the liquid back to a boil and add the pasta. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until just tender. Add the chicken back to the pot and cook until just heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

If the soup looks like it needs more liquid when the pasta is done cooking, add more broth or water a cup at a time. I like my soup to be heavy on the pasta and chicken and lighter on the broth.

This should make 4 servings.

And now, I'm going to crawl back onto my couch - which isn't aqua, but still serves nicely for the purposes of cold and flu recovery.

3 comments:

Lance Manion said...

Man, that sucks. I have recently felt your pain, and know whereof you speak.

Hang in there and get better soon. And I'd love to get Mr. Scoop's peppermint meth recipe. Mine keeps blowing up the tool shed.

Miss Sassy said...

Meth and Chicken Noodle Soup.
You'll be all good in no time... just mind the gooey boogers and open sores on the couch in the mean time.

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

Say. You know what? I'm going to try that chicken soup recipe.

Pray for me.