Saturday, July 29, 2006

Well, The Upside Is That I Haven't Gone Blind...



...so far.

My beverage for the evening is Macallan Cask Strength Single Malt Whiskey. It's youngish and 58.2% alcohol by volume.

It's a challenging drink. Mostly because there's a lot of burn if you don't treat the scotch right. This is one of the few scotches that actually holds up pretty well to ice cubes. The water from the melting helps to balance the aromatics and the flavors without watering down the taste - which is generally my quibble with putting ice in the scotches I usually drink. Hence, I tend to take my whiskey neat or with the barest splash of water. You can't really do that with this one. Well, you can but you won't really enjoy it because your eyes will water everytime you bring it to your face.


Mr. Scoop has decided that, out of all the scotch that I've brought home, he does not like this one. He usually finds something to like about my scotches, despite being a Jack Daniels man by nature.

It's in his best interest as he never knows when he'll need to MacGuyver up a buzz on the fly.

He was offput by the alcohol in the nose and the overall sweet character of the flavor. It is very honeyed and there is a trace of sherry leftover from the time in the cask. I liked it. He didn't.

Well, we can't like all.. the same things. That'd be creepy.

My exit plan, should odd hallucinations or general whiskey related belligerence start, is to switch to cider. I've got 2 litres of Strongbow on standby. It was always there for me in (a bunch of) college. Cider won't fuck me over like that bitch, Southern Comfort. To this day, I'm surprised I can sit down to pee.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You drink the coolest stuff.

Anonymous said...

Dave loves the scotch. I can't drink it. More power to you, though!

Anonymous said...

I don't really drink Macallan, but that crazy guy who looks just like me and hurls rocks glasses at everybody after he drinks a lot of Macallan does.

Anonymous said...

See now I have forayed from Boones Farm to Wine Coolers, to beer, to fru-fru drinks, to vodka, to currently Diet and Bacardi... Scotch has NEVAH been an option...but since you post it's potency I might hafta try it. If my pallete (sp?) loves some dirty martini allofasuddenlike then I am thinking this might be my new poison. No tequila please, that makes me mean and makes me clothes fall off of me with a little "BOING" sound effect

Anonymous said...

It was a scotch weekend at my friend Ron's house. Unfortunately, there aren't any stores in his area that sell better than J & B. Yeesh... oh well.

I loves me some Macallan.

xinxin said...

First you need to search online and see if you can pick up a vuitton handbags for a low cost. You want to be careful because there are many louis vuitton for sale out there. You want to find Louis Vuitton Sunglasses that the owner has not used a whole lot. You should able to find someone that needs the money and they are selling Mahina .

xinxin said...

First you need to search online and see if you can pick up a vuitton handbags for a low cost. You want to be careful because there are many louis vuitton for sale out there. You want to find Louis Vuitton Sunglasses that the owner has not used a whole lot. You should able to find someone that needs the money and they are selling Mahina .