Tuesday, August 29, 2006

One Down, One Hundred Seventy-Nine To Go

Well, today was the first day back to school for my students. It was very nice to see how lively they all were. Period 6 was so lively that I implemented a rigid seating plan with them about 10 minutes into class and saddled them with a chapter and reading questions to answer for homework. I think it's important to break their spirits set the tone as early in the year as I can. I like to believe they'll thank me for it someday. I expect my reward will probably be in the next Happy Meal I order.

I'm finding myself amazed at how young looking the new additions to the building are each year. And not just the freshmen. We've hired a lot of folks that must just be fresh out of college, because they barely look older than some of the seniors. Let's just say that asking someone for a pass while on lav duty and discovering that the passless individual isn't insubordinate, just employed is a little awkward for everyone.

This first week is pretty easy sailing. No one is going to get hit with an overabundance of hardcore assignments with the Labor Day weekend approaching...except maybe my period 6 class. Hell, a good chunk of kids will probably leave early for the long weekend, keeping early school year rambunctious-ness to a minimum. And, before we know it, we'll switch out of Daylight Savings Time back to "normal", the loss of an hour's sleep further draining the life out of all of us. Per. 6 will settle down to a merry simmer and I'll probably stop grinding my teeth at night.

Probably.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Scottsdale Girl said...

Woo Hoo Amandarama is a teach...jes like my dear departed momma... I knew there was a reason I liked yer style!

Lance Manion said...

You are aware that it's "Spring forward, Fall back..."

Ergo we gain an hour, not lose one.

Cogito ergo sum, lorem ipsum doloret. Romanus eunt domus.