Friday, September 08, 2006

For The Love Of Coffee

So, in addition to the whole diet thing and the not drinking during the work week thing, I've also pretty significantly cut back on the amount of caffeine I've been consuming over the course of the week.

I know. I can hear you now, "But, Scoop! It's like we hardly know you anymore."

To which I say, don't worry kids. I'll be getting started on getting shitfaced in about an hour. It is Friday, afterall.

But, to get back to the caffeine thing, that choice was really less about health and more about money. Once Dunkin' Donuts ratcheted their "Great One"-sized uber-coffee up to $2.25 last year or so, I decided that my weekly $11.25 could be put to better use elsewhere. For example, tonight I bought a $34 bottle of Pinot Noir instead of my usual $12 bottle of vin ordinaire.

To celebrate being sober and frugal, of course.

However, I did drop by Dunkin' Donuts to pick up some ground coffee for my French Press to enjoy this weekend. While I was there, I gave into temptation and bought a medium hazelnut iced coffee. With skim milk. You know. Diet and all.

I don't know if it's the diet talking, but it was the most fabulous coffee I've ever had. Ever.

In fact, this post is brought to you largely because of that coffee, because before that I was seriously thinking about taking a nap. Which got me thinking: I know that coffee generally has more caffeine than Diet Coke, my usual poison. However, I don't think I really thought about how much more until right now. I can drink a six pack of Diet Coke and still take nap. Right now, I don't know what Dunkin' Donuts puts in their coffee but, I'm fucking wired like it's crank or something. I'm waiting for the nervous tics and startled screaming to start.

Curious about the difference in caffeine levels between the two, I found this website: Death By Caffeine. Because, ultimately, who really cares about the levels of any general over the counter stimulant we stuff into ourselves unless it's lethal, right?

So, here's the results:


















So, as it turns out, I could drink more than two times as much Diet Coke than coffee before I drank enough that it would send me into the Great Beyond. I guess I have to wonder if I'd die from early onset Alzheimer's from the aluminum in the cans before I drank enough to actually kill me.

It's questions like that which will keep me up late at night. That and the coffee.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

1 comment:

Dave Morris said...

I wonder how many bottles of that pinot it would take to put me under... I had only one bottle last night, which I highly recommend:

Kim Crawford Marlborough, 2005, New Zealand.

I've had the 2003 version and found it a little better, even... but 2005 is okay too.