Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Free Naruto To Good Home...

I didn't wake up this morning planning to be drunk by 2pm.

Of course, I'm on vacation from school. That does give me entirely too much free time to play with. And when the cleaning crew showed up around 12:30, I decided that it might be awkward to sit around and watch them do what I should be able to realistically do on my own. Sloth like tendencies aside.

So, I wandered down the street to my favorite sushi restaurant. I partook of the sashimi lunch plate. I didn't plan on ordering booze but the server opened the wine list to the sake page and waited expectantly for me to give her the good word. I just couldn't bring myself to disappoint her.

In addition to my actual order, the nice people at the restaurant gifted me with free wasabi peas (the better to keep me drinking) and, at the end of my meal, a thinly shaved 4 inch cone of cucumber filled with a salad of crab and tempura flakes bound by mayonnaise. It was awesome. And free.

I love those people. I need to get paid so I can go back there for dinner. They have scallop carpaccio and uni shooters. And right now, I have a looming mortgage payment.

The problem for me, once I start drinking, is that if I stop then I want to take a nap. So, I wandered up the street to the conveniently placed liquor store around the corner from the condo. While I was shuffling up the sidewalk, trying to avoid slush and large puddles (they do a real bang up job of clearing the sidewalks on this side of town), a jogger blew by me on the left heedless of the snow banks and charcoal colored ice gaking up the sidewalk. Turns out his destination was the liquor store too. No word of a lie. As far as I know Boone's Farm doesn't make sports drinks. I might have told him, but he seemed so happy fingering his cold bottle of Strawberry Hill Rectal Explosion that I figured, who am I to get between a man and his electrolytes?

I've decided I'm going to spend the rest of the day drinking Sapporo and watching Japanese horror movies until I pass out. Yes. This is a good plan. Believe it.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

9 comments:

Violet said...

Man, for someone who has been drinking saki all afternoon, you sure have excellent typing and spelling skills.

Dave and I have the same problem when we go out to sushi. The waitress knows us, knows what we order, and knows what we drink. If we were to order something different, like water, the disappointment in her eyes would probably bring both of us to tears. So, we just drink to please her.

At least, that is what we tell ourselves.

Ari said...

Ohh, that sounds like a damn fine afternoon.... I've got a grad school project to work on and I've had 2 margaritas and I'm working on a new beer. I hope I can maintain your command of the English language whilst drinking.

Tense Teacher said...

Good plan? No, that's an EXCELLENT plan, and I'm extremely jealous. Sushi and alcohol... the makings of a damn good day.

Dave Morris said...

This totally sounds like a day in my life... except for the part about drinking, etc. ;)

Steven Novak said...

I don't drink, but I'm with you on the Japanese horror movies 100% ;)

Steve~

Amandarama said...

Violet and Ari - I did have to spellcheck the post. Often.

Tense Teacher - It was a good day. From what I can remember of it.

Dave - If all my days were like this, I'd probably be broke.

Steve - It was a big day full of "Audition" and "Ju-on". Big day.

Mister Underhill said...

I wish I had a drink now.

Scottsdale Girl said...

Damn - I am going to have to take a vacation day and do beeezactaly what you jes described. However, I will have to spend even more for cabs as nothing is in walking distance for me except a dance studio, tire shop and Harley dealership.

Amandarama said...

Mr. U. - Me too.

Scottsdale Girl - I totally recommend it.