Saturday, February 03, 2007

Plonk du Jour

So, tonight I'm drinking a wine called The Stump Jump. It comes in red or white flavors. I'm drinking the red.

The red is a blend of Shiraz, Grenache and Mourvèdre. Mourvèdre is not the name of some hitherto unknown French Morlock. It's a grape varietal that grows well in hot climates and, left to its own devices, will produce an "okay" wine that is high in alcohol and tannin. Kind of like if I put vodka in my English Breakfast tea and smooshed in a couple blackberries. For fiber or something. If you add it to its wine BFF's, Shiraz and Grenache, it provides an earthy, blackberry-noted something-something that enhances the overall complexity of the resulting wine. Kind of like adding anchovy or nutmeg to a recipe for subtle background notes of something you can't quite place, but with 100% less fishy flavor or cloying spice.

God, I hate nutmeg. It's right up there with tarragon as a "now you've just ruined this and may as well throw the dish out" ingredient for me.

But, I digress.

At about eleven bucks a bottle and sporting a screw cap, this is good stuff to have in the house when the occasion calls for a hearty glass of "brain-go-bye-bye" after a long day of dealing with the unbearable less-than-lightness of being. I call that...a day. Thursday, Monday - I'm not particular.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go open the second bottle.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

1 comment:

Scottsdale Girl said...

hearty glass of "brain-go-bye-bye"

I am soooooo using this in my daily vernacular

Huhn, I just used the word venacular. Damn teachers rubbing off on me!