Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Where's My Death Ray?

When I was 10 and my sister was 6, I caught her in the act of using the microwave to nuke a tiny, brown ant.

I freaked out on her. I couldn't even begin to fathom why you would do something like that. Ants are supposed to be squished. What would drive someone to go all Bergen-Belsen on one? And why not just incinerate it with the proper application of sunlight through a magnifying glass like God intended?

Ever find an inch long carpenter ant trudging its way down your forehead at 5 o'clock in the morning after an evening of fun with Sauvignon Blanc and amyl Pop Rocks...Sauvignon Blanc?

It's safe to say I now understand the impetus that would drive someone to use 500 watts of microwave goodness to kill a creature that could just as easily be blown away by a strong breeze.

3 comments:

Scottsdale Girl said...

I had a spider on my leg the other night. I had to evacuate. I did not wake up the Prince to warn him. I am not a good person.

Ari said...

I heard somewhere that insects don't feel pain. I'll just keep on believing that without checkin' Wikipedia or nothin'. Yep.

flic said...

It's actually a very safe way of experimenting/imagining how it would be to do the same with a creature that's much larger than an ant. Watch out, not.