Sunday, August 05, 2007

Ssssshhhhh!

"It's good to be a gansta", opined Mr. Scoop.

We had just arrived at our favorite sushi place after taking in the Simpsons movie. We arrived white, which made Mr. Scoop's comment a bit silly. There have been no documented white gansta's since Eminem. The entire Mafia notwithstanding. Besides, there has been a certain amount of pop culture that points to the idea that "it's hard out here for a pimp". I confess that I'm not entirely sure of the difference.

You know. White and all. I need "Street For Dummies". Or to care.

Still, as we sat down, they plied us with wet naps, beer and sake. We have a well enough established relationship with the place by now that they don't care that we are filthy human beings (hence the wet naps); they've memorized our booze preferences and begin to ply with with alcohol from the moment we sit down. I'm fairly certain they'd offer us women, if they thought they could get away with it.

It's a good thing. As the saying goes.

My sake always comes in a carafe like the one in the picture. I don't care that the sake is actually marked up by 200(ish)%. (My sake = Ozeki...which equals $7 per 750ml, retail. You work out the rest of the math. The carafe holds about 200ml. I'm drunk and am switching to Sauvignon Blanc because that's what's in the house.) It comes in a neat vessel that keeps it cold without watering it down. I'm going to buy the carafe online at some point. When I'm sober enough to work PayPal.

I appreciate that the restaurant doesn't seem to mind when Mr. Scoop tries to tattoo "Thug Life" across his abdomen using their soy sauce and a rusty safety pin. They clearly care about us, the customers. And the way that our sake and beer purchases will help their bottom line.

They've apparently been keeping some kind of spread sheet on us in the back. They've pegged us as customers whose visits work out to about once a week. Mr. Scoop will have 3 large Orion beers, whereas I will...usually pay. Plus I have at least 2, maybe 3 large carafe sakes. And Mr. Scoop and I go dutch. But that's not on the books. Or as funny. Shh.

When we engage in behaviors that deviate from their ability to meet the bottom line, they will ply us with free things. Since we were absent for a week, as we were in San Diego and all, we were immediately plied with a free salad of mango and crab. Although we (and by "we" read "Mr. Scoop") were initially concerned that Mr. Scoop might be allergic to mango (he has weird allergies to raw melon and banana that lead to mouth hives), the salad turned out to be good free eats for all involved. Later we got all kinds of free desserts. Just enough to make me feel guilty and buy another round of booze, thus getting me up to max of 3 sake carafes and Mr. Scoop up to 4, yes 4!, large Orions. That's like 8 normal beers.

Mr. Scoop isn't normal.

Right now, as I type this, he's downstairs playing "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" on the X-Box 360. Wearing Spiderman Underoos.

Sssshhhhh.

I didn't say nothing.

(And, I'm in my Batgirl ones. Ssshhh. Dammit.)

3 comments:

Dave Morris said...

Can you ply him out of his Spidermans using your Batgirls?

Ari said...

Freshly baked Underoos (possibly from Comic Con) rawk.

Anonymous said...

Christian Louboutin shoes could even tempt those who have nothing for tall boots. Considering that for the ladies who have a fixation for Christian Louboutin Pumps - would go crazy for these. There are all sorts of fashion Christian Louboutin Boots around the keen boots. The most often asked is about the fit of the calves. Well, this is important. Christian Louboutin Sandals is best..