Sunday, January 13, 2008

Would You Like Fries With That?

Well, apparently we're poised to be hit with a new major snowstorm. This, despite a week of almost spring-like weather that managed to finally melt the enormous mounds of snow left over from the last one.

Weather.com currently is telling me that I can expect my area to get 1 to 3 inches of snow tonight and another 6 to 10 inches tomorrow. 8 to 12 inches may fall in the town where I work - who knew a 30 minute drive north could make that big a difference?

So, since I may find myself housebound tomorrow, here's a recipe that takes advantage of foods you may have waiting for you in your freezer - frozen french fries and leftover holiday gravy.

Poutine

1 30 oz. bag of frozen french fries
2 c. gravy (chicken or beef...although the gravy in the picture was leftover turkey gravy from Thanksgiving), thawed if frozen
8 oz. cheddar cheese (preferably "cheese curds" - although small balls of fresh mozzarella will work too)
Salt to taste

1. Cook the fries according to package directions in either the oven or with a deep fryer (I oven cook mine).
2. While the fries are cooking, reheat the gravy until thoroughly heated through and bubbly on medium heat.
3. When the fries are done, remove them to your serving platter (drain them first on paper towels if you deep fried them). Salt the fries to taste. Scatter the cheese curds over the fries and then drown everything in gravy. Eat immediately with lots of cold beer to wash everything down.

Serves 3-4 very hungry people.

Try this. Seriously. Gravy, fries and cheese - how could it possibly be bad?

6 comments:

Timmy Mac said...

When I played a club in Montreal, I joked that poutine was the best thing their country ever did and that they should replace the Maple Leaf on the flag with the silhouette of a big bowl of the stuff.

Ari said...

WEEEEEEEird because I just made a post about fried crap as well.

Lance Manion said...

Isn't this the same sort of recipe that you hate on the large-breasted Food Channel recipe lady for?

And gravy from Thanksgiving? I have much respek for your mad chefing skillz, but damn.

This moment of negativity and hate was brought to you by the kitchen being out of Diet Coke. Suck it bitchez!

Amandarama said...

Tim - Yes. They should totally do that.

Ari - I will have to venture over there shortly and read about it! *cue Twilight Zone music*

Lance - No. It's totally not. The gravy is made from scratch. I'll start making my own fries from scratch when I decide that deep frying on a gas stove doesn't terrify me.

Don't freak out about the gravy in the picture; I actually made the poutine shown about two weeks or so after Thanksgiving. It'd been in the freezer, not just sitting around festering.

Lightning Bug's Butt said...

Wow. I'll bet that dish packs a caloric punch. Mmmmm.

Dave Morris said...

I'm a gravy swiller from waaaay back. Why ruin it with fries and cheese? ;)