Saturday, February 23, 2008

No, I'm Not Judgemental. Nor Do I Have An Overly High Opinion Of Myself. Really.

Mr. Scoop does a killer John Belushi as Joe Cocker impression. I may have mentioned this before. "Why is this relevant?", you might be asking. Well, we just got done listening to a podcast made by, I'm sure, a very well meaning individual who wants entirely too badly to be as funny as Mr. Scoop. Like, called him and asked him to listen to it and everything. It wasn't. It wasn't even close. So, we figured if we were going to be amused by the idea of derivatively channeling someone else's funny, it'd be us goddammit. We sang along loudly to "Up Where We Belong" with the windows open as we mainlined Jack Daniels. And the Lord saw that it was good and assuaged us of the awkwardness of the podcast.

No. I'm not going to link to it. I'll just leave you to imagine the not funny.

Fun as it was to sing along to 1982's greatest contribution to pop music since McCartney and Jackson released "The Girl Is Mine", I had a larger agenda: although the cold has finally left my chest, I continue to suffer from some laryngitis which mostly affects my upper register. I discovered this when I let one of my seniors bring in his X-box 360 so the class could play Rock Band on the day before February vacation started as an alternative to watching a movie (because you know no one does work in their classes the day before vacation starts. Really.) I graciously volunteered to sing lead for the band when they attempted Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time", because that's the kind of kind, giving teacher I am. Of course I also pointed out to them that if I found any covertly uploaded video, from a cell phone that they aren't actually supposed to have in school, for example, of this event on YouTube then Bad ThingsTM would happen. Possibly followed by Very Bad ThingsTM. So far, nothing has turned up. Which is good, because I mostly embarrassed myself as, apparently, the late Brad Delp could hit notes that my congested, phelgmy ass can sit around and dream about. As I check YouTube for incriminating footage. So far, nothing. So far, everyone still passes for the semester. So far.

4 comments:

Ari said...

Wow. I envy you. I think I'd be flayed by my boss (and probably the school board) if I did such a thing. Still, your students will remember it always. I deem it good.

Lance Manion said...

For the record, Mr. Scoop's "killer Joe Cocker" impression literally scared the poo out of the spawn of Manion and made her hide behind the furniture until he stopped. We had to coax her back out with cookies.

Mr. Scoop said...

For the record, Mr. Scoop's "killer Joe Cocker"...

That was my killer Eddy Grant, you insensitive clod!

The good news is: if your spawn can't tell the difference between Feelin' Alright and Electric Avenue, that's helpful to you, because you'll save money when you have no choice but to send her to a state school.

Teach your children well: there is a difference between a drunken, twitching autistic and a baked, yet still-enraged rasta. Better she learns now rather than after she brings one home to meet you. Just ask Amandarama's mom.

BOOOOIIIINNNNGGGG!

Amandarama said...

Ari - Yeah, the kids enjoyed it. And, frankly, if you can't take advantage of tenure every now and again - what's the point?

Lance - Now let's be fair. She didn't hide. She pointed at him with the "J'accuse" finger while she howled about it to the heavens. She was very brave about it, in retrospect.

Mr. Scoop - Just own that you scare kids, ok? That's why we don't have any. Among other reasons.